USA Software recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand accounting; credits, debits, journal, ledger, and chart of accounts. Quickbooks is an enigma to me. I have been using Microsoft Excel but writing spreadsheets is using too much of my resources. Quickbooks doesn't work for me because i'm a number cruncher and i use those numbers in different ways to examine every aspect of my business. I can organize my chart of accounts to be more, or less, specific to show me the information i need to manage my business. I bought a skil saw today and could only catagorize it as "other tools and equipment" in quickbooks, and because I purchased it from Home Depot, it was catagorized(or tagged. I'm a little confused) as a "repair or maintainance" expense. I need software to manage and streamline my accounting; not hijack it. Software to help me manage my journal, ledger, and chart of accounts. Quickbooks won't even let me see them. Recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There’s not a single piece of software that can read your mind and configure itself automatically to meet your expectation. QB does have it quirks, but being rigid in its configuration is not one of them. It’s best that you RTFM or hire a professional to show you how to configure it. Get one of the Quickbooks for Dummies books.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
My distribution company currently uses QuickBooks Online to manage their accounting needs. Due to their supplier requirements, we've had to setup a separate, ie. non-subsidiary, company to handle retail sales.

Is there a software recommendation for generating a consolidated financial report across the two companies ?

If possible, we also require inventory tracking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ll take a stab. One. I think QB online will track your inventory. Two, I know that QB desktop can “Combine reports from multiple companies,” as to QB online, IDK. Three, consolidated is a tricky process. There are programs like Domo or Justconsolidate claim to handle the consolidation of QB online companies and you can go that route. The other route is using Excel and some ingenuity. Both are going to require that you hire someone that knows what they are doing. The problem with both is that they need continual optimization, there is just no set once and forget option. You are constantly adding new general ledger accounts and those have to be integrated into the consolidation.

Ask a Question