Accounting software recommendations

Reaction score
Country
Tanzania, United Republic Of
Hi, I'm just in the process of moving my accounts for a small NGO from excel to a double entry accounting package and was just seeing if anyone could recommend one of the myriad of packages out there for me. My basic requirements are:
  • double entry
  • multi-currency
  • ability to add metadata to transactions (i.e. tag with different fields so can be sorted and analysed later)
  • ability to work offline
  • Simple, as I'm not an accountant
  • Free (if possible)
I was playing around with Gnucash and that seemed to work fine, except that you can't add additional metadata to each transaction, which means I would also need to keep the excel spreadsheet going in tandem.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Arno

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would recommend Wave accounting software if you are looking for a free option. However, the free version is limited in features, Try considering QuickBooks to manage your accounts.

Hope that helps,

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I'm just in the process of moving my accounts for a small NGO from excel to a double entry accounting package and was just seeing if anyone could recommend one of the myriad of packages out there for me. My basic requirements are:
  • double entry
  • multi-currency
  • ability to add metadata to transactions (i.e. tag with different fields so can be sorted and analysed later)
  • ability to work offline
  • Simple, as I'm not an accountant
  • Free (if possible)
I was playing around with Gnucash and that seemed to work fine, except that you can't add additional metadata to each transaction, which means I would also need to keep the excel spreadsheet going in tandem.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Arno
Hi Arno! Most free versions have limited features. Why not consider buying a basic package? Quick Books is pretty good IMO. Do give it a try.
[link removed by admin]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question