USA Struggling to start my accounting career

C

chimax7

Hi all. I discovered this wonderful forum just today and reading through the forums, I feel like this is a great community to get myself involved in. My question is that I am struggling mightily to jump-start my accounting career. I am a 26-year-old graduate student who is pursuing a master's in accountancy in Michigan, US. My background is that I graduated undergraduate with a bachelor's degree in Business (General) and my past accounting job experience only entails internships in that field. What really put me behind was taking a gap year after my undergraduate program where I struggled with medical and severe mental health issues that led me to start my graduate program later than I would have liked. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or insights on where I should start as I have been unsuccessfully applying to mostly entry-level jobs. Is it much wiser to look exclusively for accounting internships instead? Furthermore, are there any certifications/courses you would recommend to better my job prospects? Thank you so much in advance.

Reaction score
Country
India
Well...I started my career working as an intern for one year where I learned most of the practical aspects of Accounting, Finance, Taxation, Statutory Compliances which is helping me till now and it is having huge impact in later part of my career now...Try getting how things are bing done and learn and with more experience and hard/smart work slowly you will reach higher in the ladder...Accounting & Finance is my Passion...I just love it...I am now leading a private limited company in the field of Accounts, Finance and taxation with overall 10+ years of experiance.

Always choose the areas which you always love doing and its a passion for you and with hard work and determination you will definatly gets success.

Good Luck on your journey...reach me out for any help I can provide you....

Take Care.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
From the WSJ:

Looking for a new job? Check out the second edition of The Wall Street Journal’s Jobs Summit [ https://tinyurl.com/3aem9bd4] on Thursday [3/4/2021] . Aimed at the full spectrum of job seekers, the free event will gather leaders and experts across industries for workshops and interactive sessions geared to finding a job and crafting a career in the middle of the pandemic and economic uncertainty.

Ask a Question