USA Tennessee Single Member LLC taxed as a C-corporation tax due date question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I have a quick question related to Tennessee single-member-llcs taxed as a C-corporation.

Say the LLC was formed on December 7th, 2018 and they file form 8832 in time to be taxed as a C-corporation.

None of the following apply (source: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/how-do-i-determine-my-company-s-fiscal-year-397563)

''Generally, anyone can adopt the calendar year as their tax year. However, if any of the following apply, you must adopt the calendar year:''
  • You keep no books or records;
  • You have no annual accounting period;
  • Your present tax year does not qualify as a fiscal year; or
  • You are required to use a calendar year by a provision of the Internal Revenue Code or the Income Tax Regulations.
Can the LLC, being new, legally adopt a fiscal year of December 31st and a fiscal year end of December 31st, 2019?

Would the form 1120 due date then be March 15th, 2020?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
IRS Publication 538 says you can choose from two allowable tax years - a fiscal year, where you chose the "end" date (like March 31) or a calendar year, where the end date is 12/31. So since you say you want 12/31 then you have to have a calendar year as your tax year. From there, your first 1120 will show Date Incorporated as 12/7/18 so your tax year end is 12/31/18 and a return for 2018 is needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IRS Publication 538 says you can choose from two allowable tax years - a fiscal year, where you chose the "end" date (like March 31) or a calendar year, where the end date is 12/31. So since you say you want 12/31 then you have to have a calendar year as your tax year. From there, your first 1120 will show Date Incorporated as 12/7/18 so your tax year end is 12/31/18 and a return for 2018 is needed.
So, a fiscal year end of September 30th, 2019 would be fine and form 1120 would then be due by December 14th, 2019?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, is this article still relevant? It says I need to get permission to adopt a fiscal year? Other articles said I don't have to get permission and the fiscal year is determined by the first tax return:

''To get permission, you must file IRS Form 1128, Application To Adopt, Change, or Retain a Tax Year. You may have to pay a fee.''

[Source: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/choosing-fiscal-year-your-business.html]

Ask a Question