What can I do if my accountant flaked out on me?

Reaction score
This guy lives in an upper middle class home. He has all kinds of credentials and plaques on his office walls. He had got laid off from a hospital as a CEO from cut backs due to the economy and decided to do what he graduated from college.

He filed my taxes for 2008. For 2009 I filed an extension and had him do the work again. Towards the end of September I set up a time to turn my paperwork/earnings for 2009. I became concerned around the 12th and we spoke and ironed out some details in the return. The 15th came around and I called him in the morning, left a message. Couple hours go by, no return call. Called, called and called, about 10 times. Finally around 3pm he calls me back, says he was extremely busy, and that I didn't owe anything to the IRS and he finished my return and he would mail it off.

Well here we are Nov 17th and I got a letter from the Az. Dept of Revenue saying my 2009 taxes were not filed. So, WTF I say.. I call him this morning and no answer. Left message, no return call. Called him after lunch, left message. No return call. Here I am this evening with still no return call and I'm wondering what the hell is going on with this guy that has ALL KINDS of my paperwork that is NOT replaceable, like receipts and such.

So obviously if he did not prepare my 2009 taxes even though he said he did, I would be responsible for all penalties and late fees.

And all the THOUSANDS of dollars in receipts I gave to him so he could copy them and give them back. That means I'm screwed on claiming this money for my 2010 taxes.

So what should I do? I have thoughts of what I want to do, but it's not legal. I'm so flipping mad now because I have a strong feeling this guy is flaking out on me.

Ask a Question