A Career In Accounting

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some career advice. I currently own and operate a catering company. I am looking to make a career change into accounting. My goal is to have my own accounting service including bookkeeping and tax preparation, specializing in small businesses. Being a small business owner, I believe this will help me to guide my clients.

Education: I have an Associates Degree in liberal arts and a three year trade school for restaurant management. While neither of these qualify me to enter accounting, they don't hurt.

So, my question is, what path would you recommend to gain education and experience? I have talked to a few people and I have gotten a surprising variety of answers. Here are some snippets of advice I have gotten from various people:

-Sorry, you might be too old.
-You need to become a CPA. They are the only ones who make any money.
-You are absolutely not too old.
-I have no formal education in accounting aside from Accounting 1 at my community college. I have been in accounting for 35 years and I do very well.

I suppose the path to becoming an accountant will be a mixture of real world experience and education. What path would you recommend?

Any comments are greatly appreciated,

Michael

Ask a Question