Advice needed, please. Honors worth it?

Reaction score
Please respond people :)

TL;DR - Do potential employers care that you have honors in Accounting?

In my country, a Bachelor of Commerce is 3 years. Obviously professional studies takes 3 years. At my university, If I do honors, it will count towards one of those professional years. Apparently 2nd class honors is on pa with first year professionals, and 1st class honors is one stage better.

I'm considering doing honors in order to strengthen my degree, which currently looks like this:
First year grades: B+, B+, B, B, B, B, B, C+ (so far so good)
Second year grades: B, B, B-, B-, C, C-, C-, ? (sliped a bit :( )
Third year grades: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

My short term career goal is to get into the biggest accounting firm I can get into. I know that third year grades are the most important, then second, and then first basically don't even count. Yes, I am aware that they don't just look at grades.

I will be aiming to get the best grades I can for third year. My question boils down to this: Since my second year grades aren't very good, is it worth it for me to do honors, if my reasoning for doing it would be to strengthen my degree so I can get into a bigger accounting firm? 1st class honors is considered better than a pass in first year of professionals, which is where my reasoning is coming from. However, do employers care enough about honors for that to matter?

Please give reasoning in your answer, and back up your opinion by explaining how you know this (i.e. I've worked for a long time at a big accounting firm) :D

Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
11 freakn views and no responses. This forum is scarcely populated......

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Patience is apparently not one of your strong points. Anyway, see my reply in the other place you posted this.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question