Australia Career change from Bookkeeping/Accounting to Techno Finance

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'Day all

If anyone could guide me please...

I migrated to Australia about 4 years ago. I came here with a Bachelors in Commerce from India, a professional accounting degree from India (Cost and Management Accountant) and an Advanced Diploma in Management Accounting from CIMA UK (distance learning); about 7+ years of work experience in Accounts including a total of 4+ yrs of exp. in Financial Reporting based on IFRS from one of the top 5 IT companies and one of biggest 4 banks in the world. It has been 4 years now for me since I have been searching for a job in accounts but so far I have only gone as high as a 'Bookkeeper + Admin' role. So my last real accounting job ended in mid 2014. I started CPA Australia in 2018, passed first subject in the first attempt and now I feel I have no enthusiasm whatsoever to pursue accounting anymore (How many accounting degrees do I need really?!!). I find accounting straight dead boring and the most unappreciated jobs of all. IFRS based work doesn't really help you get employed internationally really. Don't fool yourself into thinking so. I have reached a point where I can't stand bookkeeping/accounting one more day. My mind is made up. I want to bolt out from Accounts and may be venture into Techno Finance, Business Informations, etc.

I have always been good with computers. As much as I would love to go into full on IT roles I know I can't without a graduation and taking a significant drop in salary. I am 34 years old and can't compete with the young Computer Science Graduates that IT companies would prefer to hire. For me, courses like ERP implementation (SAP, Hyperion, etc.) come to mind (although I have no ERP implementation experience), or something like Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), etc. I am not deadset in pursuing something specific in TechnoFinance but would go along with anything majorly IT related that complements my accounts background and that would get my foot in the door without any Techno Finance experience. I am currently at AUD 50-60K plus super, unmarried, live alone, renting in Sydney, no mortgage.. I work for a very small company which has a turnover of not more than $15 Mn. No scope for any promotions, we barely have a staff of 15 people. It is a privately owned company. The owner is a bean counter. Any recommendations?

Tnx

Ask a Question