Australia Career change to accounting?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have been working for the last 11 years and am considering a career change, I am deciding between IT and Accounting, the problem is they both have pretty bad prospects for people starting out from what I've seen, is it going to be worth it to get a degree in accounting, considering the oversaturation of graduates? Also will the university I go to be a big factor?

Reaction score
Country
India
I have been working for the last 11 years and am considering a career change, I am deciding between IT and Accounting, the problem is they both have pretty bad prospects for people starting out from what I've seen, is it going to be worth it to get a degree in accounting, considering the oversaturation of graduates? Also will the university I go to be a big factor?
Join IT, if interested in accounting then don't consider a degree, complete professional accounting.

Reaction score
Country
India
I forgot to mention I live in Australia
Normal accounting degrees pay lower than IT. Professional accountants get paid well. However you need to work hard on main modules.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
My only concern with IT is a lot of it is being outsourced unless you are on app/software development side. Much is going to cheaper locations since it doesn't require a physical presence. Accounting is also outsourced more but if you are strong in your knowledge can make a great career as well as opportunity to own your own practice. Either way, choose what you will commit to be great at and enjoy most and you will be able to make a worthy career out of it.

Ask a Question