USA Getting back into accounting field and looking for some advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, i'm new to the forums. I'm looking to get back into the accounting field and looking for some advice. I appreciate any and all help on the matter.

I graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor's in Accounting. I worked my first year out of college in an unrelated field before finding a job doing sales tax auditing where I worked for about a year and a half. I guess I wasn't quite ready to settle down yet so I made the decision to move to South Korea to teach English. I'm looking to return to the U.S. later this year or early next year and would like to return to accounting seeing as that is my chosen area of education.

I'm not sure what to expect when I get back. I'm pretty sure I'll have to settle for an entry level job which I am fine with since I've been out of the field for a few years. Any advice or feedback would be helpful in where I should be looking for employment when I come back to the U.S. However, I have plans beyond that which is where my real question is.

I'm considering possibly pursuing my CPA at some point in the future, although currently I am not eligible as I only graduated with 141 credits. I know the general requirement is 150 credits. I know I need to receive more credits, however I'm not really wanting to pursue a Master's degree right now. Can I just take any classes and the credits will count towards the 150 credit requirement? Do they need to be graduate level credits, or could I just take more undergraduate level credits? If possible I'd prefer just to take enough online classes to reach the requirement.

Thanks again for any and all advice!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
CPA licensing is by state so first determine the state then call their state board of accountancy to get the info as to how to solve those 9 missing hours. Generally, you can solve this by attending a community college on a non -degree seeking basis but again check with the state THEN also with the school to see if that non-degree is OK by them.

Ask a Question