Canada How to add total net income properly?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So let’s say that I would like to apply for the response benefit in Canada to the virus and a criteria to be met is an individual needs to have made $5000 minimum in last 12 months.

In theory, let’s say I have made $2000 of earned income. Is it possible for me to declare the difference of $3000 as self employed income from (for example) selling items on Craigslist, marketplace, kijiji? Thus making me eligible?

This would be filed for the 2020 tax year.

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Theoretically earned income is not realized income and therefore not an issue for tax purposes.

Reaction score
Country
India
You calculate Net Income in the following manner:

Net Sales - COGS = Gross Margin
Gross Margin - SG&A = Operating Expenses
Operating Expenses +/- Non operating gains and income/expenses and losses = Continuing Income before tax
Continuing Income before tax - Tax = Continuing Income after tax
Continuing Income after tax +/- Discontinued operations (net of tax) = Net Income

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Totally correct - provided - that all transactions actually took place and are supported by documentation.
Usually, people post questions to get answers to a problem they - or one of their friends - don't know how to handle. To me, you questioned whether the gap between actual income and the minimum required to qualify for a program could be closed - in theory - with income that could have been generated by selling on xyz's websites. Therefore I tried to politely caution you not to create "theoretical income" for a real-life application. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
And by the way, if somebody is regularly selling items on the internet, such income is taxable. And reporting it under Schedule C as a sole proprietor is an advantage since he can deduct the cost and expenses related to the sales transaction. There is however a fine line when it comes to selling personal items. As long as you are just selling used personal property such as a computer, furniture, you can assume that the cost of the item equals the price you sold it for. When you start trading - buying items and selling them commercially - the valuation methods come into play and those sales must be reported. A very interesting niche in that market are "collectors". In general, you can sell your used car online without generating a profit. However, if you are a collector who buys cars as collector items, hangs on to them until their value increases, he is considered a commercial trader and fully taxable. Since those items are usually high in value, it is preferable that such people operate under the legal and financial protection of a legal entity.

Ask a Question