Canada Is an Accounting Career Diploma enough??

Reaction score
Country
Canada
First off, thank you for reading my post! I am just kind of worried I might be taking the wrong program.

I am looking to work with anything linked to the accounting process.... though looking thru the different classes of accountants I would prefer to be a general accountant and work for a business. I love the organizing and balancing of numbers and I would like to be paid reasonably well... I am not asking to be rich from this, just to make a bit more than minimum wage. I am tired of working in customer service and so I enrolled at the International Career School Canada (which is online) and I am getting my Accounting Career Diploma. I thought this would be enough to make a decent living off of and make a career out of it.... however, in the school flyer it says "Take the first step toward becoming an accountant by studying at home...". Does this mean I will have to take further schooling in order to get an actual career from this? Or will this be enough that I can still work for a company and do their financial books?

Update... I was just looking at some jobs and one that kept catching my interest was a bookkeeper... that's still working with financial statements and organizing numbers...… what kind of career can I make out of doing that? I noticed the pay is decent, and I'm guessing that's like any other job where that is your starting wage and I would work up from there with time? Perhaps a bookkeeping career would be good for me... is the Accounting Career Diploma enough for me to work my way up in bookkeeping?

Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a wonderful day! Happy New Year!

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do a web search "ICS Canada credibility" also contact a local college and see if the college accepts the ICS units as valid for transfer to the college.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Lady Sativa,
Try this exercise: meet with 10 people who work in the field you want to enter, and ask each one 5 basic questions. Mostly, how they like it, and what they would do differently given their experience. That will tell you a lot. If you can't get 10 people to meet with you (in person, or online) then that tells you something too.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you so much! This is a great idea! I don't really get the difference between accounting jobs, they all sound like they deal with the same principles just with different kinds of numbers. It is still just working with money and making reports. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that... I know there is a lot to accounting especially what you focus in and where you work for... but its still all just working with money and I like working with money and organizing it. Like I said I am very new to my course, I will learn much much more as the time progresses. I very much look forward to it!!

Hello Lady Sativa,
Try this exercise: meet with 10 people who work in the field you want to enter, and ask each one 5 basic questions. Mostly, how they like it, and what they would do differently given their experience. That will tell you a lot. If you can't get 10 people to meet with you (in person, or online) then that tells you something too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure thing! Ping me, and us, any time you would like advice. Don't worry about offending accountants. We're not sensitive. :D

Reaction score
Country
India
You can land yourself a decent job with the diploma. But, inorder to further enhance your skillset and career, you should go about pursuing accounting professional courses like CPA, CMA, etc. This would give your further growth and repute in the industry.

Ask a Question