USA Looking for CPA related guidance.

Reaction score
I currently have a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science but I’m looking to become a licensed CPA. In my state (North Carolina), 150 credit hours of college courses (with at least 30 in Accounting concentrations) are required in order to sit for the exam. I have 120 credit hours, and will be taking Accounting classes to make up the other 30 hours needed. In addition, I must have at least one year of work experience under the supervision of a current CPA.

With all that said, my questions are the following (both questions are assuming that I’ve passed the CPA exam): 1) Will I be at a disadvantage looking for employment in the accounting field if I have a non-accounting related Bachelor’s Degree, but have an Associate’s Degree in Accounting? 2) Once I’ve completed one year of employment in the accounting field and officially become a license CPA, will I still be at a disadvantage looking for work because I don’t have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi
Pls check on the following. My read of North Carolina CPA licensing is that to be a North Carolina CPA you need "a bachelors degree with a concentration in accounting". Reference is NCGS chapter 93-12. So I just want you to make sure you are clear on the requirements before you proceed.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It never hurts to have additional knowledge to add to your core discipline.

Someone I know is a patent attorney for Texas Instruments. But he also has a degree in Electrical Engineering. I'm sure TI likes that and that's why they use him. ;)

Ask a Question