mileage reimbursements for nonprofit 501C3

Reaction score
I am on the Board (volunteer) for a nonprofit foundation 501C3. We are Grant funded. It's
a "drop in center"... we offer peer to peer counseling and a bunch of other free things to consumers. (consumers: people dealing with mental health issues) I do lots of traveling to conventions, stores, schools, etc. using my personal vehicle. I would like cash reimbursements. I am retired and volunteer a lot for the organization. The organization does have 2 paid employees. Should the reimbursement rate be .14 c a mile or should it be 56.5 c a mile? Do I have to claim that mileage reimbursement on my personal taxes? Does our organization have to notify IRS of my reimbursements? Looking at 2013 and 2014 tax years. Our treasure needs to know and so do I. Thanks in advance, George

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your two paid employees should get reimbursed at 56.5 cents a mile because they WORK for the organization. Everyone else is providing charitable service to the organization. So they just keep mileage records and claim the deduction at 14 cents a mile on their tax return.

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm certain that kirby is correct that only employees are reimbursed tax-free at the rate for business miles. The charity may reimburse you tax-free up to the rate for charitable miles of 14 cents per mile. However, legislation has been introduced this year to allow tax-free reimbursement to charity volunteers at the business mileage rate. A similar bill was introduced a few years ago and went nowhere.

Ask a Question