UK Accounting education

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For all the accountants, do you think that the skills university education is focused at to develop in students are the same skills that the employers require. If no, what is the difference between the skills developed at university education and the skills required at work. Any replies would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been a long time since I studied accounting, but the biggest disconnect I experienced working in the industry is that everything I learned was oversimplified. Real life situations were always unique and complicated.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it depends on the industry you go into. I've worked in US insurance (actuarial/reporting) for a long time. We have a specific basis our regulators use for measuring solvency, a basis no accounting program would normally teach. It takes a while to pick up. And there are particular FASB ASCs and ASUs that apply to the insurance industry.

I think schools are looking to teach sort of jack-of-all-trades kind of accounting, and letting your employer teach you on the job the industry-specific stuff.

Doc

Ask a Question