UK Accounting Trainee Requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[UK ACCOUNTANT TRAINEE REQUIREMENT QUESTION]

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here.
I'm really excited about the prospect of beginning a career in accounting but I have a few anxieties and potential problems that I would love if you could help clear up.

- I'm 30 years old.
- Currently I teach at a university abroad and unfortunately have had no direct experience of accounting.
- Hold an MA / BA (2:1) / 4 A-levels and good GCSE
- However, heres the issue:

One of my A-levels was completed a year after the others. It wasn't a re-take or anything, I was unable to attend university or enter the workforce due to a fairly debilitating illness. So instead I worked on another A level while recuperating.

My A level grades are ABCC (The A being awarded for the later A-level).
Most training schemes ask for 120+ UCAS points. I'm over that threshold with the later A-level.

* Do you think this (or my age) will be an issue or am I overthinking things?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Things to consider:
If you have tenure, that is very valuable, especially with each passing year. You will have to evaluate the cost of losing tenure.
You need to research the starting salaries of entry level accountants in your area. It is likely these are lower than your current compensation as I assume you have been working for several years.
Also factor in the cost of the new education.
.You are relatively young and your age will be an issue for some jobs but not all.
The current health crisis is increasing unemployment and while it is a time for acquiring an acctg education it is not the time to leave a job. (If at all possible, take the accounting education while you continue your current job.)

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for your detailed response, I really appreciate it.

I'm done a lot of research into salaries and I'm more than happy to begin at the bottom of the ladder.You're right, I am earning a lot more now than I would be in my first few years as an accountant trainee but I'm willing to make the sacrifice. I don't have tenure here and actually my university contract will be up in a year or so. There are also family issues at home so I'll likely return to the UK regardless.

Reaction score
Country
India
Don't lose out on your job, bud. Try taking the course in parallel to your job.

Ask a Question