USA Getting Accounts Receivable and Sales information into Accounting System from External Medical EMR System

Reaction score
Country
United States
I originally posted this on reddit's "R/Accounting" but no one responded, so I figured I'd try here. Sorry for the long post. Let me know if I can explain further.

Hi Fellow Bean-Counters,

I’m a bit confused about how to move forward and could really use some accounting help. I can’t seem to figure out how to research this, and anything I find on this subject very “introductory level” accounting and doesn’t get into the specifics of my problem. I figured I’d turn to this accounting subreddit, but if there’s another place you think I should post this, please let me know.

I just started a new job and I’m trying to revamp some of the accounting processes. The current process is a bit of a mess so I won’t go too much into that, but I am trying to update the process to be done the optimal way.

This company is a healthcare related business and uses Quickbooks for it’s accounting system and a patient EMR system to hold all the patient balances, charts, and patient notes. So there are really 3 different systems that need to interact well with each other, which is the Bank Accounts, Quickbooks (accounting system), and the Patient system (EMR system).

The revenue coming in through the bank will be on a cash basis, so Quickbooks will be on a cash basis when only using bank revenue, so I’ll need a monthly journal entry to get the A/R and Accrual Sales in from the EMR system. I’m thinking that all the individual patient information should stay in the EMR system so I just need the monthly information consolidated by location.

The patient EMR system is very customizable, so I can get custom reports in whatever way I want, but I don’t think it’s being used the right way. Part of updating this process will be creating a custom report to run each month to get the A/R and Sales information, and potentially tie to the bank. But what should this report look like? Do I need the breakdown of cash sales and accrual sales? Should it be broken up by patient, or by service lines?

This is where I start getting really confused. What would the monthly journal entry look like in Quickbooks? How will it change from month to month? Do I need to do anything to match what’s in the EMR system to the cash payments coming in through the banks?

I’m doing my best to research this, but I can’t find anything specific about this. Can anyone help? Does anyone have any suggestions?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sending you a message. Sign in to Forum and click on envelope icon at top.

Ask a Question