USA Masters in Accounting at 48?

Reaction score
Country
United States
48, unemployed, media sales career, not finding a sales job anytime soon, need new skills. My Bachelors, over 20 years ago, Communications (useless).

Looking at a Masters in Accounting, 16 month program, program designed for career changers, with no accounting background.
https://robinson.gsu.edu/discover-m...q-Ock2RyjCMIYfj8-g4lrAAxqHK2AAQQaAh59EALw_wcB

This programs includes the required classes to eventually become a CPA which I assume is the way to go?

Trying to understand what to expect if go down this path:

-What would be my first job and how much would I make? What comes after a few years in first job?
-Age is a problem across all industries. Will it be a huge problem in accounting world?
-Do companies hire people for some kind of accounting job, while they are doing the masters?
-What if I just do a Bachelor's in accounting?

Thank you.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What is good is that you have specified a particular school. Having done that, your next step is to contact the school and obtain their stats on recent graduating classes: average starting salary, how many students found a job within x time from graduation, what industries did the most hiring. Make sure this is broken down by major so you can see how your major fared. Of course the Covid crisis thrashes those stats for class of 2020 but still the stats from prior years will tell you something valuable.
Age adds more x factors into the equation. For example, older people have been in the job market for some time and have usually moved up the salary ladder so when they are presented a job offer for an entry level job at less than they were making it's no go for the older worker while it works for the younger one just starting out.
You might get employment while doing the masters but now you are getting spread thin and it adds stress.
Finally, a masters should take less units than a full on bachelors.
Good Luck.

Reaction score
Country
India
Age is just a number, if you're passionate, you should go for it!

Ask a Question