USA Should I take the CPA Exam?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I moved to the US about 4 months ago. I am a member of the ACCA, UK (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) + MSc in Forensic Accounting from a U.K. University. I have also obtained the CFE Certification and a member of the ACFE here in the US. I had my foreign credentials evaluated and has the requirements to take the CPA Exam. I am finding it hard to get an accounting related employment and wondering if taking the CPA exam could possibly lead to employment opportunity giving my lack of US work experience that has been the concern of 2 accounting agencies that invited me for interviews. I have a temporary assignment with a tax preparer that is neither paying well nor challenging me. Prior to studying in the U.K., I have largely worked as an accountant (in industry) in Africa for over 7 years.

I live in Virginia, any advice or experience shared will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and congratulations on your decision to take the CPA Exam. As an European Fellow I will tell you this. The CPA license will help you a lot but you need experience prior to get a good job with a good wage of course. I live in NYC and have been here 4 years now. I am graduating this year for accounting and havent had that much luck, even though NYC has so many job offerings. Good luck with your career and I will strongly advise you take the CPA. cheers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just because you don't have experience, doesn't mean you should stop looking into accounting. But If you want a better job or The job you are looking for requires CPA exam. Then definitely attend the exam

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a CPA in VA - absolutely take the exam.

Be aware however, that there is A LOT of very specific to GAAP standards tested and very little IFRS. You may be well served to take a review course before you attempt the exam (I used Becker and passed everything my first go round)

This time of year, everyone is looking for accounting help for tax season - its a good time to get hired on either with a firm or one of the tax services (H&R block etc) As long as you have the necessary work visa, you should be able to find SOMETHING to get started with some US accounting experience. Many of the tax services provide training so you wont have to worry too much about what you do or don't know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I moved to the US about 4 months ago. I am a member of the ACCA, UK (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) + MSc in Forensic Accounting from a U.K. University. I have also obtained the CFE Certification and a member of the ACFE here in the US. I had my foreign credentials evaluated and has the requirements to take the CPA Exam. I am finding it hard to get an accounting related employment and wondering if taking the CPA exam could possibly lead to employment opportunity giving my lack of US work experience that has been the concern of 2 accounting agencies that invited me for interviews. I have a temporary assignment with a tax preparer that is neither paying well nor challenging me. Prior to studying in the U.K., I have largely worked as an accountant (in industry) in Africa for over 7 years.

I live in Virginia, any advice or experience shared will be appreciated.
Hey, I did see you worked in Africa for 7 years . I was wondering for what company and where in Africa? Also what is your taught of having a CPA and working in Africa for an accounting will it be hard finding a good paying job there? In addition, do you think a SAP certification has a better chance of getting a good job in Africa than a CPA? I m asking since you worked in Africa and you may have a good grasp of how things work there.

Reaction score
Country
India
The demand for CPA has considerably grown in recent times with the substantial growth in MNCs and the Big4s. Go for it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is absolutely worth taking the CPA exam, it will make your life a whole lot easier in interviews. Also, with all do respect to ACCA, it is still IFRS and this year AICPA is getting rid of the IFRS section of the FAR exam. This signals less reliance on IFRS in the future... Sorry.

Also passing the CPA exam is not as hard as it seems. The main thing you need is a good CPA review course; it will give you all the tools you need in order to pass and will teach you everything from basics. Now I never used any other review course other then Roger CPA review, but at least in Roger's case it is an absolutely phenomenal review course. If you follow the study guide and do the homework you will pass. It is not an IQ test, it is a test of self-discipline.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, would any one have a idea on the accountancy job market in California? Is an accountant who is ACCA (UK) but not CPA have any attraction for an employer in California?

Ask a Question