USA Starting a career - need advice

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I see some pretty knowledgeable folks around here and I think you could all be a great help. I'm 27 years old and I recently graduated from a city school with an accounting degree. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.86. This is actually my second degree. My first degree I earned in 2009 in Political Science. I also graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.83 at that time. After graduating the first time I went and worked at a bankruptcy law firm for about a year. The original plan was to go to law school but I decided against it.

Anyway, I'm currently in the masters program for accounting at the same school but I have one major problem. I've been getting some poor advice from family (although I take full responsibility) which was basically to wait until graduation to start the job search. This means that I have missed all the on campus internship/recruiting opportunities while I was in undergrad. My goal from day one of going back to school for accounting was to get into the Big 4. I suddenly feel like I have missed my opportunity as I have missed the career fairs. My question to the community is what can I do now? I know I have the grades, I worked so hard for so long. I have sent my resume through e-mail to many public accounting firms but I haven't heard back from any of them and I have been told continuously that recruiting only occurs on campus for entry level/internship positions.

What can I do to call attention to myself? I'm not sure what to do now as I just started really getting out there and sending out my resume. Is there any advice you can offer me? My previous work experience is limited to legal work, including a summer internship and about a year and a half of working as a bankruptcy paralegal. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ask a Question