USA starting a new career

Reaction score
Hello

I am thinking about making a change in my life.
I want to go back to school and get a degree in accounting.
I have a bit of a problem dealing with people, is this job very customer service oriented, or can someone who feels a bit afraid around people like me find success?

Reaction score
Accounting can go either way....
1) if you want interaction, do audit, tax, or public accounting.
2) if you like your own space, do private sector GL accounting. you are stuck in your cube until you retire. (boring job)
Either way, you still need to show in your interview that you like to interact with people.

Reaction score
What skills are needed to make a good accountant of someone? The first thing that comes to mind are math skills. After all, there’s a lot of number crunching involved in this profession. However, math skills alone wont be enough; a good accountant possesses many other essential personality traits that maker her/ him good at the job.

Reaction score
Agreed with dannygenio,

If you plan on dealing with accounts you better believe dealing with people will be a necessity and about the cubicle note, yes you can do GL accounting and be in a cube until you retire but alot of people love that. It all depends on your situation.

People skills are always important as relationships let it be in office or out are extremely important. You can always take a public speaking course to loosen you up too don't forget you can always condition yourself to be better dealing with people.

Ask a Question