USA taxes not filed

Reaction score
Hello,

I have several questions pertaining to federal taxes that I did not file in 2007, 2008 and 2009. I have a disability that prevents me from being organized and staying on top of such things as filing taxes. My earning over the last ten years has been very low due to my disability. Often times my family has supported me financially. In fact the U.S. government discharged my $17,000 student loan debt due to my disability.

Anyway...

My questions pertaining to tax years 2007, 2008 and 2009.

1) I lost all my tax information for those years. How do I find out if I have 1099-misc or W-2s for those years? Due to my disability I don't recall what I was doing for work those years, since I do a lot of odd jobs.

2) I received a letter from the IRS on 8/31/2009 regarding tax year 2007. I pasted a few lines from the letter below.

YOUR TAX RETURN IS OVERDUE - PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY. "Our records show that we have not received the following tax return(s) from you."
Form number: 1040
Title: US INDIVIDUAL TAX RETURN
Tax period(s): 12-31-2007"

Does this mean I owe them money? What should I do?

3) I have not been contacted by the IRS regarding owing them money. Since, I have not heard from the IRS is it safe to assume I owe them nothing?

4) If I owe the IRS money for 2007, 2008 or 2009 will they show me leniency due to my disability? I have letters from doctors that would support my case. What should I do?

5) Is there a statute of limitations on debts owed to the IRS?

6) Will debt owed to the IRS appear on any of the three credit reporting agencies?

I appreciate your time and help.

Kindly,
taxdog

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Get Free Tax Prep Help

Get Free Tax Prep Help

Hi - use that website to find a VITA program. This is an IRS sponsored website so it is legit. VITA folks help low income folks with doing their taxes. Program for this year ends soon so do this TODAY!

Last edited:

Ask a Question