USA Suggestions for CPA who no longer wants to do accounting?!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I worked in public accounting for the past 2 and a half years at a well respected CPA firm in the city. I graduated with high marks both from college and from my accounting masters program, and I received my CPA while working. I'm starting to realize more and more that I do not enjoy accounting. I am creative, and I enjoy working with people. I am not sure that a private accounting job would be a good answer to what my next step would be, however- I spent all this time and effort building up my accounting credentials.

Do I want to throw that out? At this point I can make the most money in accounting! I recently got married and therefore I also don't want to have such an 'intense' job but rather would prefer to have flexibility and a work life balance. Any suggestions for me of a job I can transition to where I can use my accounting background but isn't accounting??? My husband is in dental school- we need money and benefits!!!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You need to explore the private accounting option.It is a WORLD of difference from working in a CPA firm. Yes some privates are just as bad so you have to choose wisely. Use your "networks" to get as much info as you can. I suggest this as -as you say yourself_ you are the sole breadwinner and cannot just put on the brakes and stop working. So my plan here is that with a less time consuming job you can get training in a career that you would like to do. Then you can break away from the accursed acctg world.

Alternate plan:
You walk up to your husband. You hand him the newspaper opened to the Want Ads. You announce " I just quit my job! " You punch him softly on the shoulder and say "Tag you're it, dude! " and run away.

(Just kidding) :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question